DIRECTOR / VP SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT
Talented technology leader with in-depth expertise in Software and IT Management, strategic business planning and development, process and product improvement and R & D. Highly experienced in software architecture, object oriented design and development, relational databases and project management. Foster an environment of high productivity and team orientation.
- Strategic planning & leadership
- Team Management/Team Building
Motivator and Public speaker
Director, Software Development 2006 - 2006
Recruited by the CIO to facilitate this software startup company to go public within 18 months. Challenged to stabilize the environment and shorten the installation time for new clients for this web-based system that automates the sales process for automobile dealerships.
- Increased system uptime from 78% to 99.75%
- Successfully acquired and equipped a new server co-location site removing the dependency on a single location, increasing the system uptime
- Streamlined the new client setup for the ASP model application shortening the installation time from 10 days to 5 days
- Defined and implemented new monitoring to ensure prompt notification of outages
- Assisted in resolving several major production issues with the Oracle database increasing the capacity of the existing hardware by 500%
- Provided expert guidance to improve the SDLC
Senior Director, Software Development 2004 - 2006
Director, Software Development 2000 - 2004
Senior Manager, Software Development 1999 - 2000
Successfully managed technical teams through aggressive growth, major mergers and significant reductions in workforce for this leading provider of consumer Internet subscription services.
- Key role in the highly successful merger of NetZero and Juno. Successfully managed the merging of the web sites, RADIUS and email technologies
- Introduced formal Software Development Lifecycle resulting in significant improvement in successfully deploying projects and decreased web site production outages by 50%
- Managed transition of web services to Service Oriented Architecture that reduced production outages 20% and resources required to test changes for production rollouts by 25%
- Architected and managed the development of the new ISP client adding significant capabilities including advertising, smart dial, AIM TV broadcast quality TV commercials and smart pull software update technology
- Directed and managed web registration through company changing events. These changes involved forward looking strategic plans allowing for nimble and stable platforms on which to launch new product lines.
- Corporate web sites consistently on Nielsen’s Net Ratings most visited in North America
Manager of Research & Development
Key leadership role that contributed value-added expertise, technical guidance and growth to this supplier of enterprise Labor Resource Planning (LRP) software systems as it transitioned from a 6 person startup to a 370 employee successful company. Changed name to eLabor.com in 2000 and acquired by ADP, Inc in 2003.
- Hired and managed 75 employees, managers, software engineers and project managers
- Provided technology leadership as the company grew from less than $1 million in annual sales to more than $14 million
- Developed and implemented the proprietary Focused Team Approach (recognized in 1996 as an Arthur Andersen Best Practice) to ensure we could implement large-scale Fortune 1000 projects on time, on budget, and on target
- Led the team that designed, developed and implemented a Windows-based client/server version of the LRP product, which resulted in the company’s dominance of the Time and Attendance market
Orin Enterprises Ventura, California
1982 – 1991
Managed development of custom software applications for small to medium sized businesses. Automated approximately 60 companies and implemented 200 – 250 computer systems. These business-oriented applications included: accounting systems (A/R, A/P, Payroll and G/L), order processing systems, banking systems, inventory control, production tracking and membership.
- Major customers included: Marie Callender Pie Shops, Inc., Valley of the Sun Publishing, MarBorg Industries, Transcontinental Properties, Inc. and Systems Tax Service, Inc.
- Major partnership relationships with: IBM, SCO, Informix, Texas Instruments
- Full P&L responsibility including: marketing, sales, contract negotiations, hiring and managing employees, bookkeeping, accounting and payroll.